Alert over algae in lake

December 20, 2017

Blue-green algae has been detected in Lake Eppalock, prompting a warning for people to avoid direct contact with the water.

GOULBURN-MURRAY Water (GMW) is warning the public to avoid direct contact with water in Lake Eppalock after monitoring detected high levels of blue-green algae.

Warning signs will be positioned around the lake while high levels of blue-green algae are present but the lake will not be closed to the public.

GMW recommends water users from the lake seek an alternative water supply and recommends:

■People and pets do not enter the water.

■People who come into contact with affected water should wash affected skin immediately in clean cold water.

■Seeking an alternative water supply for stock and pets.

■Do not use affected water for cooking, drinking, washing or showering. Boiling the affected water will not make it safe for these purposes.

■Reading GMW’s fact sheet and other information on blue green algae at GMW’s blue-green algae webpage to be informed of the risks.

Blue-green algae occur naturally and contain toxins that are harmful to humans and animals. Characteristic signs of algae contact are skin rashes or itchiness, sore eyes, ears and nose, or if swallowed, nausea or vomiting.

It is not possible to predict how long the algae will remain at high levels.

GMW is continuing to monitor the situation at Lake Eppalock.

Keep up to date with current blue-green algae warnings at or phone the GMW blue-green algae hotline on 03 5826 3785.

More in The McIvor Times
Login Sign Up

Dummy text